Reading is good . Pictures, Images and Photos

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Invented Life

Photobucket
My Invented Life
by Lauren Bjorkman
Rating: Great
Difficulty: Normal
Pages: 226

Synopsis
Roz and Eva are sisters, friends, and rivals. Roz fantasizes about snagging the lead in the school play and landing sexy skater god Bryan as her boyfriend. Sadly, a few obstacles stand between her and her dream. For one, Eva is the more talented actress. And Bryan happens to be Eva’s boyfriend. But does Eva have a secret life with her cheerleading partner? Inquiring minds need to know.
Roz prides herself on random acts of insanity, and hatches a scheme to get Eva to open up. The plan backfires. Eva is furious. Roz finds herself neck deep in her invented life. When Roz meets a mercurial boy with a big problem, she begins to understand the complex feeling beneath labels. And she gets a second chance to earn Eva’s trust.



Review
The best thing about this novel is definitely quirky, sarcastic Roz and her wild antics. I fell in love with her character right from the get go, enjoying her random moments in “her invented life” where she twisted reality to her liking. You never really knew when what she was saying was actually happening and it made for a great novel. The whole lesbian/gay/straight thing was really interesting and funny. Being the open mind that I am I had a lot of fun reading about the relationships between all of the characters. It was a really fun and energetic read!
Roz was amazing, she was so real and relatable that I enjoyed listening to her story- her complaining and acts of insanity didn’t disturb me at all but actually made the story better. The references to Shakespearean insults struck me as fun and entertaining and I found myself flipping back and forth between the book and the “Lexicon of Shakespearean Insults” at the back. The cast of theatre kids were particularly hilarious, the catty try-outs and the diva fits were good drama for the laughs.
The plan to pose as a lesbian to get Eva to come out was really funny! Ha-ha, a little out there but definitely entertaining! I enjoyed Roz’s creative dialogue and laid back style, her up-beat personality was refreshing and new- considering all the angst-y teen drama stuff that going on right now in the YA world. If you’re interested in the subject and like a light funny read, you should definitely pick up My Invented Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember...I love Comments! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails